This howto article will start from putting together a basic, quickly up and running then to more sophisticated traffic routing and isolating networks.
In all you need :
- Cable internet service or telephone DSL internet.
- Modem (Cable or DSL)
- Router <– not neccessary if only one PC.
- CAT5e cable for all PC’s or NAS storage required to be on a wired network.
Let’s get Started…..
- If you have landline telephone service OR
- If you have digital Cable TV OR
- Fibre optic service like Verizon’s FIOS
Basic Minimal: Modem->PC
Basic Multi-user: Modem->Router->PC’s
Basic Wireless 4 devices: Modem->Wifi Router->PC’s
Advance Wireless >4 users: Modem->Wifi Router(1/2)->PC’s
Advance w/Security Cam:Modem->Wifi Router(1/2)->PC’s/IPCam
Advance w/Security Cam+UPS:Modem->Wifi Router(1/2)->PC’s/IPCam<-UPS
Advance Kitchen Sink: Modem->Wifi Router(1/2/3/4)->PC’s/IPCam/Media Centers/Streamers/print srvr/fax/scanner/TV/iPads/iPods/Tablets